Garage Sale Information
GARAGE SALE ORDINANCE #98-01:Garage sale permits must be obtained at Saginaw City Hall at least 48 hours prior to sale. The cost of the garage sale permit is $5 which includes 3 signs per garage sale (1 yard sign and 2 directional signs). Additional signs are prohibited. No signs shall be placed on utility poles. The owner or occupant of residential property is allowed 2 (2) sales per calendar year. The garage sale permit can not exceed 3 consecutive days. The permit must be displayed on the premises during the sale.
- NEW: If you would like to have your garage sale information listed on our website (see below), it is an additional $5.
Any cancellations due to inclement weather, should contact City Hall at 817-232-4640 on Monday by 5 p.m. With staff approval, you may be allowed to reschedule your sale for the following weekend. You will be required to purchase new signs at $1 each. Failure to contact City Hall as directed will void this provision.
For more information, please contact Saginaw City Hall at 817-232-4640 or stop by at 333 West McLeroy Blvd.
Top 5 Tips to Having A Successful Garage Sale
- Advertise Online – Putting up flyers is a good start and putting out a yard sale sign is a must, but if you really want to drive in traffic, post your yard sale announcement on Craigslist or websites dedicated to yard sales, such as yardsalesearch.com. Make sure you mention the types of items you’re offering and pictures are a plus. You can also advertise your garage sale on our web site for an additional $5 (see above)...
- Open Early – The best day for a yard sale is Saturday and experts say start early. Serious buyers will be ready to go at the crack of dawn. Between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. are the busiest hours.
- Price It Right – Remember garage sale buyers are bargain hunters. As a general rule price most items roughly 75 percent off the original price and then be willing to negotiate down. Everyone want to feel as if they are getting a good deal. The biggest mistake you can make when it comes to pricing is leaving off a price tag.
- Hand Out Bags – Research show when shoppers have a bag in their hand, they tend to buy more. Marketing expert Jeremy Gregg said, “It’s strange, but the psychology of having a bag in your hand that somebody gave you, you almost feel compelled to fill it.”
- Give Away Coffee – Bigger sales are better, which is why experts say consider doing a garage sale with friends and neighbors. Plus, Gregg said that makes the sale seem fun. One way to do this is by offering your customers free coffee. Gregg said, “The number one thing is how can I get this person to stay as long as possible and I think refreshments are the way to go.”