Starting a Business in Saginaw
If you are just beginning, these resources can assist you free of charge with everything you need to know to get started. They can provide information on writing a business plan, funding, marketing, and managing your business. They also offer many training classes to owners, managers, and employees of small businesses in Tarrant County.
Certificate of Occupancy applications are available in our Building Inspections Department (more information below). The Building Inspections Division is located at the Public Works Office, 205 Brenda Lane in Saginaw, 817-230-0500.
How do I find a site location for my business?
Contact Saginaw Economic Development at 817-230-0331 for information for site location searches.
What is a certificate of occupancy and how do I get one?
A certificate of occupancy authorizes the use of building and/or vacant land. Download: Certificate of Occupancy Application (PDF)
- A Certificate of Occupancy is required for new businesses operating in Saginaw.
- Application filing fee is obtained through the Building Inspections.
- After an approved inspection, a utility release is given to Oncor by Building Inspection. The customer is responsible for making application for service to the various utility companies.
- A new Certificate of Occupancy is also required when a business changes ownership, square footage or type of business previously approved. It is necessary to have all the information requested on the application before it can be processed.
Contact the City of Saginaw’s Building Inspections Division for more information:
Building Inspections Division
205 Brenda Lane
Saginaw, Texas 76179
How do I register my business name?
Assumed Name / Doing Business As (DBA):
Register your business name in the county or counties in which you will do business.
- Tarrant County Clerk, Assumed Name (DBA) at 817-884-1064
State Requirements for Assumed Business Name Certificate:
A domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or other foreign filing entity that regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under a name other than its legal name (the name stated in its certificate of formation or comparable document) must file an assumed name certificate with the secretary of state and with the county clerk in the appropriate county.
Contact the Texas Secretary of State Office for information: 512-463-5555.
What licenses and permits do I need?
The City of Saginaw does issue and require a "business license."
- An approved sign permit must be obtained prior to erecting any sign.
- An application and sets of drawings must be submitted by contractor.
- A plan review fee is payable when the sign permit application is submitted and the permit fee is paid when sign permit is issued.
- The sign contractor must be registered as a contractor in the City of Saginaw.
- Sign Permit Application and Information
- For information on other licenses and permits, contact the Building Department at 817-230-0500.
What is required for restaurants?
Food service permits are issued by the Tarrant County.
- The Tarrant County Health Department must be contacted prior to opening, or obtaining a building permit to remodel or build new structure.
- Tarrant County Health Department approved plans must be submitted to the Building Inspections along with a building permit application.
- The Tarrant County Health Department is located at 1101 S. Main St, Fort Worth, Texas 76104. and can be reached by phone at 817-321-4960.
Do I need a sales tax permit?
Visit the Texas Comptroller Texas Online Tax Registration webpage for information on sales tax permits.
Who handles property tax on business personal property?
File your Business Personal Property (BPP) rendition (April 15th deadline each year) to county appraisal district.
Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6982
Email Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)