Licenses, Permits and Inspections

Neither the City of Saginaw nor the State of Texas require a general business or occupational license/permit. There are, however, state regulatory entities that require a license or permit related to the type of business service or product that you provide.

The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation is prepared to answer any license or permit questions and provides a list of requisite occupations on their website.

  • Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation – Main Office, 920 Colorado, Austin, Texas 78701, 512.463.6599 or 800.803.9202, 

What is a certificate of occupancy and how do I get one?

A certificate of occupancy authorizes the use of building and/or vacant land.  Download: Certificate of Occupancy Application (PDF)

  • A Certificate of Occupancy is required for new businesses operating in Saginaw.
  • Application filing fee is obtained through the Building Inspections.
  • After an approved inspection, a utility release is given to Oncor by Building Inspection. The customer is responsible for making application for service to the various utility companies.
  • A new Certificate of Occupancy is also required when a business changes ownership, square footage or type of business previously approved. It is necessary to have all the information requested on the application before it can be processed.

Contact the City of Saginaw’s Building Inspections Division for more information:

Building Inspections Division
205 Brenda Lane
Saginaw, Texas 76179

How do I register my business name?

Assumed Name / Doing Business As (DBA): 
Register your business name in the county or counties in which you will do business.

  • Tarrant County Clerk, Assumed Name (DBA) at 817-884-1064

State Requirements for Assumed Business Name Certificate: 
A domestic or foreign corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or other foreign filing entity that regularly conducts business or renders a professional service in this state under a name other than its legal name (the name stated in its certificate of formation or comparable document) must file an assumed name certificate with the secretary of state and with the county clerk in the appropriate county.

Contact the Texas Secretary of State Office for information: 512-463-5555.

What licenses and permits do I need?

The City of Saginaw does issue and require a "business license."

  • Signs:

    • An approved sign permit must be obtained prior to erecting any sign.
    • An application and sets of drawings must be submitted by contractor.
    • A plan review fee is payable when the sign permit application is submitted and the permit fee is paid when sign permit is issued.
    • The sign contractor must be registered as a contractor in the City of Saginaw.
    • Sign Permit Application and Information
  • For information on other licenses and permits, contact the Building Department at 817-230-0500.

What is required for restaurants?

Food service permits are issued by the Tarrant County.

  • The Tarrant County Health Department must be contacted prior to opening, or obtaining a building permit to remodel or build new structure.
  • Tarrant County Health Department approved plans must be submitted to the Building Inspections along with a building permit application.
    • The Tarrant County Health Department is located at 1101 S. Main St, Fort Worth, Texas 76104. and can be reached by phone at 817-321-4960.

Do I need a sales tax permit?

Visit the Texas Comptroller Texas Online Tax Registration webpage for information on sales tax permits.

Who handles property tax on business personal property?

File your Business Personal Property (BPP) rendition (April 15th deadline each year) to county appraisal district.

Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)
2500 Handley-Ederville Road
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6982
Email Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD)