Shop Local. Shop Saginaw!
Shop Local. Shop Saginaw.
"Shop Local. Shop Saginaw." is designed to encourage customers/residents to purchase products and services locally. The objectives of the initiative are to:
- Support and strengthen locally owned, independent business and local jobs.
- Preserve and enhance our unique shopping areas.
- Re-circulate more dollars in our community to promote a strong local economy.
6 Big Reasons To Shop Small
When you support a local business, you’re also supporting your town, city, and neighborhood. Business pay sales taxes to the city and county the business is located in. Stray to a big box business elsewhere and that money isn’t benefiting your community at all. Plus, that tax money is used to support public schools, parks, roads, and sidewalks, as well as fund public service workers, like firefighters.
What’s more, according to Civic Economics, “on average, 48% of each purchase at local independent businesses is recirculated locally, compared to less than 14% of purchases at chain stores.”
How do you get more involved in the small business movement? This is a great start:
- Shop small, of course! And not just on Small Business Saturday, but every day that you can. Need milk, eggs, bread, or beer? Go to the local corner store instead – Say “hey” and get to know the owner who’s paying taxes to keep your neighborhood in tip-top shape.
- Get vocal on social – Post pictures, tweets, and status updates of either the small business you own, or of yourself shopping at one, and be sure to use the hashtag #ShopSmall. Also write positive Yelp reviews for the small businesses you love and support.
- Sign up for local business’ loyalty programs – Does a local business have a customer loyalty and rewards program? Sign up for it – not only will you be supporting a local business, but you’ll get discounts and rewards for it, too.
- Keep up with The Small Business Administration, and read up on additional tips.
- As a small business owner, promote Small Business Saturday in-store (download marketing materials here), send promotions via email and text, post on social and take advantage of the traffic by signing up new people to your loyalty program.
- Share this post and others like it – Raise awareness and show your support.